As Fashion Night Out and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week approach, shoppers and fashion addicts are waiting in angst as designers scramble to put the finishing touches on what they hope will be the next "must-have" item. And despite the fact that we too eat, breathe and sleep fashion, we feel that it is also important to share a much more meaningful reason why everyone (especially you female fashionistas) around the world should be abuzz: September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month!!!
Here are a few facts to help you understand the importance of Ovarian Cancer Awareness:
- Ovarian cancer is the deadliest of all gynecologic cancers and ranks 5th as the cause of cancer death overall.
- Worldwide, about 200,000 women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer and 125,000 women die from this disease.
- In the United States alone, there will be approximately 22,000 new cases of ovarian cancer each year, and about 15,500 women will die of the disease.
- Currently there is no effective means of early detection. As a result, just over half of all patients are alive and disease-free five years after diagnosis.
- However, if detected and treated early the five-year survival rate is 92%.
The Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF) is the largest private non-profit organization in the United States dedicated exclusively to funding ovarian cancer research. Their mission is to find a method of early detection and ultimately a cure for ovarian cancer.
Since 1998, OCRF has awarded 164 grants for ovarian cancer research to 62 leading medical centers which is an investment totaling nearly $40 million.
Every dollar donated brings the OCRF closer to a cure for this devastating disease, which is why Mel Boteri decided to step in and help this wonderful cause! Named in part after Ann Schreiber, wife of OCRF founder Sol Schreiber, who lost her courageous 5-year battle with ovarian cancer, the new "Ann-Nicole" limited edition custom design Mel Boteri handbag is now available for purchase. 20% of the purchase price of each "Ann-Nicole," made-to-order handbag will be donated to the OCRF.
Made of fine, Italian black and white calf-skin leather, the luxurious teal suede lining is a symbol of ovarian cancer awareness and shows your support for the OCRF. The belted design joined by a single, circular piece symbolizes strength while the braided tassel represents the mission of the OCRF:
o To understand what causes ovarian cancer
o To find better tests that can diagnose ovarian cancer earlier and more precisely
o To develop improved treatments and ultimately a cure for ovarian cancer
As we shifted your focus from Fashion to Philanthropy, we also wanted to show you that the two can work beautifully together! So join us in our fight, and show your support today! The limited edition "Ann-Nicole" bag is now available online, http://bit.ly/GiveBackWithMelBoteriAndOCRF, or please visit the OCRF's website at www.ocrf.org for more information on how you can help!